All Saints’ Church Laleham is a fine example of an early English place of worship. Situated at the heart of Laleham, and close to the river Thames, All Saints’ Church has been a place of Christian worship since at least the 12th century.
Parts of the church date back 800 years and there are contributions from many periods in history. The nave contains some of the earliest work. 12th Century pillars made from clunch (a form of chalk) and the arcades still remain, the west wall at the back of the church also dates back to the 12th Century.
There are many memorials in the churchyard to well known people, such as Matthew Arnold, the poet and the 3rd Earl of Lucan who reluctantly passed the order for the Charge of the Light Brigade.
The church had a wooden steeple prior to 1731 but around 1732 it was replaced a by a brick-built tower, but this too had to be extensively repaired and buttressed a hundred years later. The clock, which you see today, was installed in 1842.
The Church once only had 3 bells. There are 8 bells now, these are hung, fixed as a carillion within a metal frame in the tower. The bells were installed in 1951 by the Gillett & Johnson foundry of Croydon. The carillion is played from the first floor of the tower by a clavier which has hand batons. Tunes and ringing the changes can be played with this system.
The large painting which can be seen at the north end of the west wall depicting Jesus saving Peter is by George Harlow
On the North side is the Lucan Chapel with its red Tudor brickwork and as one walks around the churchyard towards the East the Lucan Memorial can be seen. It is here that many of the Earls of Lucan are buried.
For more details and for Church Activities and Services Click here -> All Saints Church